The CGA Program of Professional Studies is recognized as a leading education program for its high standards, its integration of technology, its convenient distance-based format and its competency-based approach.
CGA-Canada has adapted some of its leading edge distance education courses to International Accounting Standards (IAS) and International Standards of Auditing (ISA).
12 Financial and Management Accounting, Auditing and Finance courses are now available. Combined with local courses for topics such as law and taxation, these courses can form the basis of an accounting degree or program of professional studies. [Summary of course outlines.]
Feature of the courses
- Based on the International Accounting Standards (IAS) and International Standards of Auditing (ISA).
- Course materials include international case studies and international readings.
- Comply with the International Education Standards (IES) issued by the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC).
- Competency-based, reflecting CGA-Canada’s adoption of a competency based approach in its Program of Professional Studies since 1986.
- Integrate IT skills. CGA-Canada is internationally recognized as a leader for its integration of information technology skills within the curriculum.
- Incorporate ethics throughout the curriculum. Course materials illustrate ethical principles and rules of conduct, and include case studies.
Structure of the courses
Self Contained. The courses include:
- Lesson notes
- Computer illustrations and applications
- Review questions and solutions
- Assignment questions (and solutions for markers)
- A practice examination with a suggested solution
Flexible delivery. The courses can be delivered:
- In print format or on CD-ROM
- In a classroom setting or by distance
Capable of adaptation to local circumstances:
- CGA-Canada has copyright over all course materials
- CGA-Canada can partner with local institutions to adapt the course material to meet local requirements
- Obtain the recognition of courses adapted from a respected accounting program with a proven track record.
- Lower costs to students, as no additional textbooks are required.
- Immediate availability of course materials, reducing course development time and investment
- Standardization of courses across an institution, possibly throughout a country.
- Develop a local accounting profession proficient with international accounting and auditing standards.
- Draw on CGA-Canada’s expertise in several areas to build partnerships with local and international accounting organizations and regulators.
An international program making use of CGA-Canada education products is the Certified International Professional Accountant (CIPA) program in Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union. Visit the CIPA Web site to learn more.
For further information on CGA-Canada’s International Education Products contact:
Lyle Handfield, FCGA
Vice–president, International and Corporate Affairs
Phone: 1 (604) 605-5070
[ TOP ]